We must first remember that the Innovation evolved in two phases:
1. a linear innovation (also called Sustaining Innovation) in which the improvement of technologies was fundamental.
2. a generational leap (as in the “Revolutions” of History) in which innovation is placed on a radically different plane. For example, technologies become a secondary matter (note that in the meantime the “low-tech” have become so as to allow to fully satisfy most of the needs of the Demand).
The human aspect of the Business (as it was originally)
therefore becomes primary:
THE ABILITY TO TUNE IN TO THE REAL NEEDS OF PEOPLE.
THE “SMARTNESS” OF A PRODUCT
TODAY IS NO LONGER A TECHNICAL QUESTION
BUT A MATTER OF HUMAN FACTOR.
(the technical aspect today can be easily developed by operators of an ordinary level of skills),
That is, Smartness today is no longer assessed on “technical performance” (for example the ability of a product to interact with the environment), but on the product’s ability to carry out a “Job” for the Customer (for example with helping the Customer in adapting his guide to the limits imposed by the Laws on the specific stretch of road – or to guide the Customer in planning a comfortable and economic heating of the accommodation).
In this new dimension, the term Connected takes on a different meaning:
Connecting is no longer the connection
from a technological point of view,
POSSIBILITY OF COLLABORATION BETWEEN THE USERS OF THE PRODUCT.
That is, the strategic advantage is no longer in the ability to connect devices, but in the ability to prepare these devices to develop further value with the collaboration between Users.
For an effective assessment of the quality of a product's innovation, the "TrendInsights's Guidelines to Disruptive Innovation" was developed, which offers:
1) an essential description of the meaning and methods of Disruptive innovation, and
2) a methodology for those who want to start a Disruptive Innovation business.
3) a Table summarizing the quality of the Disruptive Innovation for an assessment of business innovation capacity (usable both for developing a new Business and for analyzing Business already in progress).