- The need to understand the future scenario to understand the value of disruptive projects
- The need to see the whole picture: integration of products into an eco-system
- Trend Forecasting for the Disruption Age
To understand how Autonomous Vehicles cannot be the Car of the future it is necessary to understand the scenario in which it should fit into the future. <see The need to understand the future scenario to understand the value of disruptive projects >
The fact is that if you can imagine the whole picture ot that scenario, you understand how many elements of it that currently appear to be critical – for which today we try to invent sophisticated solutions like the Autonomous Vehicles – in the near future they will no longer be present.
It must be clear that the problems of a specific sector, such as Mobility, cannot be solved by modifying this element. But, according to the Rules of the Disruptive Innovation <see Decalogue of Rulesof Disruptive innovation>, they are resolved by intervening on the whole system (for example by changing the conception of Mobility to its foundations).
That is, the problems of the various Market sectors (of our Society) will be solved
1) not only by creating a galaxy of new “small solutions” (which in the Disruptive innovation mode are developed bottom-up: by small StartUp or by the Crowd with the new ITC and IoT tools).
2) with an Eco-system in which such specific products can intervene among them (but also with new activities spontaneously developed by Crowd) creating the new form of typical Value of Disrtuptive Innovation <see my Articles on New Value>
For these reasons the Autonomous Vehicles – among other problems:
1) would be substantially useless in the Mobility scenario of the near future.
In the new scenario we know conditions radically different from the current ones. For example the possibilities of remote working and the new modes of production and widespread distribution (at Km 0) will drastically reduce the need for travel.
2) the AVs are however unsustainable, because they are conceived with the obsolete mindset of the current Industry 1.0.
One of the factors of unsustainability derives from the inability to start with a truly disruptive approach, for which we focus on technological solutions, lacking the fundamental objective of Innovation: the improvement of the quality of life of the People (of the inhabitants of the city in general, and not of those who use Mobility as drivers of cars or users of public transport).
From a more purely technological point of view, one of the problems of the Autonomus Vehilce is to be an electrified car, and therefore to inherit most of the defects of the latter (weight and consumption, space requirement, etc.).
As illustrated in other Articles, it is more likely that the new Electric Vehicles will be developed by Joint between Electronic Companies and bycicle manufacturers, than in the Automotive sector.
Of course many of the features now tested on Autonomous Veichles can be used in new types of Vehicles, but without them being made totally autonomous (such as, for example, functions for redistributing the fleet) see my Project LiteMotive: the new future of Mobility>
Autonomous vehicles can also be used in specific contexts, such as micro-shuttle services managed by local communities (in Crowdsourcing mode) to cover the last sections not covered by public transport (trains, couriers).
Manual Related Posts
- . To understand the validity of truly innovative ideas (for example disruptive innovation) IT IS NECESSARY TO UNDERSTAND WHAT WILL BE THE SCENARIO IN WHICH THEY WILL INSERT (also modified in a disrutpive way) . Obviously, the future scenarios (the development of new trends) that you need to be able…
- We live in a time of profound social, market and government changes, which are the cause of a profound crisis (social chaos, economic crisis, etc.). An economic crisis of the Market and Public Administration that has lasted for years, for which nobody is able to indicate a way out. <see…
- At a time when Demand is radically changing, the Goals of Business strategies must be radically changed.
- Today there seems to be a lot of confusion about the trends that are developing on the Market. That is, for each Trend, there are interpretations of a completely opposite sign. At the basis of everything there is - as often happens in modern culture - a semantic question, of…
- Today, the many failures derive precisely from the lack of understanding of the essence of Disruptive innovation: The purpose of the Guidelines is to CLARIFY WHAT THE DISRUTPIVE INNOVATION REALLY IS. You can easily evaluate THE RESPONSE OF A BUSINESS TO THE RULES OF THE DISRUTPIVE INNOVATION