The key to the development of technological solutions
IS NOT THE TECHNOLOGY!
If one observes History, one notes that the evolution of the Market (the Progress of man) develops “normally” in a linear way. But sometimes there are leap that mess up all the strategies, all the consolidated mindset.
Such leaps are not something that is decided by someone – Market Leader, Public Institutions, Influencers. The leap is produced by a trend, which is a bottom up phenomenon: it derives from an ineluctable necessity of Demand.
You follow the leap, or you are out of the market (you can, as you are doing now, force things to make the most of the strategic advantage gained in the previous phase, but it is a bubble destined to burst).
In the previous Market phase, was pursued an innovation linked to the development of the technologies themselves. But the “avant-gardes” of the Market have realized that now a radically new phase is coming, in which it is necessary to reset those that were the previous mindset, design approach, production and distribution methods, etc …
That is when previously we could afford to develop an emotional consumption, now contingent needs lead the User to buy products that are really useful for him. <see “From frivolity to sustainability”>
In the new phase of the Marker,
technologies are no longer crucial because
1) Consumer Technologies have reached more than enough power to satisfy most of the Demand’s needs. It is therefore no longer necessary (for the vast majority of consumer products) to develop new technologies (or improve the performance of current ones).
It is instead necessary to develop new useful applications with the technologies already on the market (those that have now become “low-tech”).
2) the “technologies” had become a sales argument to push the Consumer to buy a new product (which does not actually guarantee better performance-really-useful for the User).
The leap of the Market is due to the fact that in moments of History like the present one such moments in the Market, in the Government a radical change of culture develops, of the mindset used up to that point.
This is a quantum leap, which leads to a reset of the Business, a fresh start of the Market in which the big Players (and of course the strategies of innovation practiced until then) are destined to disappear.
For example, for the Automotive sector, one of the consequences of this leap is that the big players will not be able to produce the car in the near future. Or:
1) the car of the near future will be radically different from the current cars (Demand requires greater sustainability, affordability, utilities, etc …).
2) the new type of car will not be at all like today as it is proposed: this car will not evolve in the direction of an evolution of technologies (e.g: Self-driving, flying car).
The quantum leap in this case will lead, for example, to a fork of the Automotive: the traditional Players will orient themselves towards the production of cars for extra-urban routes, and new Players begin to produce cars for urban routes. < see “Automotive: beyond the automotive” >
There are already start-ups that offer, at the local level, excellent products < see INNOVA Project “LiteMotive” >
The Automotive sector will develop innovation in a completely different direction compared to the current one, which will be oriented towards innovation solutions able to offer functionalities that are really useful for the User < see “Direct Car Notification System” e il concept “IoT Speed Limiter (Direct Connected Vehicles)” >
The quantum leap in progress will force, more generally, to clarify the current errors related to innovation < see “Mobility 2.0: White Paper” >
There will also be “completely new ideas” like flyng cars. But these will be developed, of course, in “completely new” mode (the current flyng cars are a bit like the J. Verne projects of the flying wagon: good ideas but conceived with a mindset outdated). The flying cars, for example, will be developed in the “ultra-light” version (in the direction of the INNOVA Project LiteMotive – INNOVA has developed a concept of ultra-ligt flying car).
Also in the production/distribution area there will be a quantum leap, which will lead to a substantial re-thinking of the product / design process ● process of the production / distribution process.
For an effective assessment of the quality of a product's innovation, the "TrendInsights's Guidelines to Disruptive Innovation" was developed, which offers:
1) an essential description of the meaning and methods of Disruptive innovation, and
2) a methodology for those who want to start a Disruptive Innovation business.
3) a Table summarizing the quality of the Disruptive Innovation for an assessment of business innovation capacity (usable both for developing a new Business and for analyzing Business already in progress).